The remains of a boarding school designed to forcibly assimilate Native American children.
Alongside a preserved section of the historic Route 66 sits an abandoned, fenced off red brick building. Constructed in 1903, the building is what’s left of the Truxton Canyon Training School, a school that belonged to the Office of Indian Affairs and was designed to sever Native American children’s’ connections to their culture.
Children lived in boarding rooms at the school, kept away from their families, and were spoken to exclusively in English. In addition to classes in reading, math, history, and other usual school subjects, children were given instructions on what to wear, how to do household chores, and given work skills that were more in line with Euroamerican industrial culture.
Read full article